Thursday, September 09, 2010

This "Gorda" is making a difference in the Tri-Cities and Kaneland

Cultural differences... Wow! So fun to get to know others! Recently I was introduced to a Hispanic man who preferred to be called "Negro" versus his real name. Negro means "black" in Spanish. To some Americans, that would be a taken offensively. It's actually a term of endearment in Mexico used for one who is "darker" than others in his family. Now, I'm married to a Hispanic man, whose family comes from Oaxaca, Mexico. It's way south in Mexico where it's very warm. His father too was known as Negro, as he was a very dark skinned man. This got me to thinking... Mexican parents sometimes nickname their children "gordo" or "flaca" and even "feo" (meaning "fat boy" or "skinny girl" and "ugly") and think nothing of it! To them, it's just another term of endearment. Can you imagine the looks that I'd get walking thru WalMart calling "Fat boy, come here to mom!" I'd probably get DCFS called on me.
In the Indian Culture, it's considered bad manners to wear shoes in someone's home. They're always slipped off by the door.
I find differences like these refreshing. Get to know someone outside your own world. Their ways are not necessarily bad ways just because they're not the same as you think they should be. Embrace the experience.

By the way, if you're looking for a real estate agent who truly cares about you and seeks to understand your situation for what it is, call me!
I take great pride in providing honest, reliable, and professional services to my clients! I am sensitive to your needs and will help fit the best scenario for your situation. Never pushy, just dependable.

Thanks for discovering the Diane difference...

Diane Morales
MOVIN' WITH MORALES
MovinWithMorales.com
MovinWithMorales@gmail.com

Follow me on Facebook.


No comments: